If the Battery alarm displays a red indicator in the Alarms table of the Frame Configuration
interface, you will need to replace the battery installed inside the Cooling Fan Module of the chassis.
This module is accessed via the front of the router chassis and requires that you remove the door
first. The door is secured to the front of the router chassis with a rare earth magnet on each side.
To remove the door from the ULTRIX-FR2(-NS)
1. With your left hand, grasp the top and bottom of the door at the left sides.
2. With your right hand, grasp the top and bottom of the door at the right side.
If you have trouble removing the door from the chassis, you can insert a flathead screwdriver into
the notch on either side of the door for added leverage.
3. Pull the right side of the door towards you to disengage it approximately 1.0” from the chassis.
4. Pull the left side of the door towards you to fully disengage the door from the chassis.
To remove the Cooling Fan Module from the ULTRIX-FR2(-NS)
1. With the door removed, use a #1 Phillips screwdriver to loosen the screw that affixes the
Cooling Fan Module to the Main Board.
2. Gently pull the Cooling Fan Module towards you to unseat it from the backplane and to
disengage the module from the chassis.
3. Pull the Cooling Fan Module free from the chassis and set it on a static-free surface.
To remove a failed battery from the ULTRIX-FR2(-NS) Cooling Fan Module
1. Locate and note the orientation of the failed battery inside the Cooling Fan Module. (Figure
2. Gently move the latch to the right and away from the failed battery.
3. Remove the battery from its slot by pulling it away from the Cooling Fan Module.
To install a new battery in the Cooling Fan Module
1. Hold the battery in one hand and orient it so that the Positive side (+) faces away from you.
2. Slide the battery into the empty slot the failed battery was in.
3. Secure the battery to the module using the latch.